Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Canning recipe specifies jar size - dangerous to change?

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> In article >,
> "Anny Middon" > wrote:
>
>> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message
>>> I did not want to get into this but I see that I will have to. The
>>> following tomato varieties are known to be low acid: Ace, Ace 55VF,
>>> Beefmaster Hybrid, Big Early Hybrid, Big Girl, Big Set, Burpee VF
>>> Hybrid, Cal Ace, Delicious, Fireball, Garden State, Royal Chico,
>>> and San Marzano. There are others as well. The majority of the
>>> more traditional home-garden raised tomatos are not low acid,
>>> however.
>>>
>>> The USDA recommends pressure canning for tomato products. Their
>>> published recipies ALSO recommend acidification of tomato products
>>> EVEN IF pressure canned. See the following:
>>>
>>> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...n_guide_03.pdf
>>>
>>> "...Recommendation: Use of a pressure canner will result in a higher
>>> quality and more nutritious canned tomato products..."

>> I have seen the publication -- which is available from the NCHFP which I
>> mentioned in my post.
>>
>> Note that the reason the publication suggest pressure canning is not a food
>> safety issue, but based on the quality of the finished product.

> And here's an abstract from a journal article that suggests there is no
> significant difference in any of the quality measures of home-canned
> tomatoes:
>
> <http://fcs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/7/2/108>
>
> Of course, not having seen the entire article, I have no idea how they
> define "significant". Frankly, I'm a bit dubious. I have always heard
> that pressure canning often results in overcooked, mushy product. So
> that is an old wives tale? When you prepare beans, for freezing for
> instance, you blanch and then cool them rapidly in ice water. That is
> done to improve the quality of the end product. If you let them keep
> cooking, they will get mushy. So it's kind of hard to believe that the
> quality is going to be the same before and after a 30-60 minute
> cool-down time in a hot canner.
>
>>> Note that the USDA guide does not recommend -against- BWB
>>> canning of tomato products (like Salsa). They merely recommend
>>> pressure canning instead of BWB canning of tomato products.
>>>
>>> In other words, they are going to wait until the jury is in, you might
>>> say.

>> I don't thing that's what is going on. I think they have found that
>> pressure canned tomato items are of a higher quality and vitamin content
>> than BWB processed ones -- not that they are waiting to see if there are
>> safety problems with the BWB salsa.
>>
>>> The entire guide is up he
>>>
>>> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ions_usda.html
>>>
>>> USDA recommends citric acid or lemon juice specifically, instead of
>>> vinegar, because of taste.

>> Look at the salsa recipe on page 3-16 of the publication. You will see that
>> it specifically calls for vinegar.
>>> The NCHFP site does have a specific blurb about Salsa, they
> [...]

Hokay, I'll chime in here. I've been pressure canning for more than 40
years, most of it with the same eighteen-quart canner. Mine is the one
with the gauge that reads the pressure but it also has a jiggler.

Once I turn the heat off the pressure starts to drop and, within twenty
minutes or less, the gauge reads zero. At that stage you can remove the
top. At that point I do something our old home ec agent in Texas taught
us, toss a tea towel over the top and let it sit five more minutes. Once
that's done I lift the rack out, set the rack and jars on a folded towel
and let them cook to room temperature. It is generally recommended that
you let them sit for 24 hours before moving them around to ensure the
entire mass is cool. I've never had a jar fail to seal in the pressure
canner, never had the jar contents go bad (we eat it all up pretty quick
anyway), and, for certain items I prefer canned to frozen. Ie, green
beans, or shelled beans of any kind. Soups, soup stocks, broths, etc.
all get canned to save freezer room for important stuff like vacuum
sealed steaks, roasts, fish, etc.

Sure, pressure canning is a PITA but you get a safer, more convenient
food that will last up to a year or more in a cool place out of direct
sunlight - my pantry.

It's certainly no more difficult or lengthy than messing around with jam
pots, boiling jars for 5, 10, 20 minutes, etc. I quite BWBing tomatoes
twenty years ago when I became uncertain as to the acidity of the fruit.
If I get enough to can I pressure can them.

Oh yeah, none of the food I can has ever become mushy from the canning. YMMV

George

Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ