Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Canning recipe specifies jar size - dangerous to change?

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> Your going to have to correct me if your favorite salsa recipie is
> different, but most of them I've seen spec tomato chunks. In short,
> the finished product has significantly sized chunks of tomato in
> it. ANY of these recipies should be pressure canned regardless
> of any acidification that the recipie may specify or regardless of
> any boiling water canning that is specified. Tomatos are
> now known to be borderline low-acid, and the problem is that
> in a recipie where they survive intact, you can have regions within
> the tomato chunk that the acidification hasn't penetrated.

I'm going to disagree with you here, Ted. There are salsa recipes that are
safe for BWB canning at the NCHFP website, some (most) of which call for
chopped tomatoes. I can't imagine those folks would leave any recipes up at
their site if they weren't sure they were safe.

Think of the tomatoes in salsa as being similar to the cucumber chunks or
slices in pickles. One-day recipes for pickles call for a significant
amount of vinegar. So do safe for BWB salsas.

Anny