Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Starter pH difference for whole wheat vs white flour

I'd say, this is a potential measuring error asking for attention.

How often did you do the test or do you have some soap left in the
container which dissolves after a while?

What is the pH of the flours you use? That would be your baseline and
when you add some acid with the starters, it would go down.
That would be an interesting number to see the effect of 10 % of starter.

One effect may be happening. If you grow one starter on a particular
flour and then on another flour, there may be a higher time of
"retooling" used by the critters to adjust to the new goodies.

I was measuring SD pH's until it got too boring and never saw anything
like it - pH increasing after starter was mixed.

Sam

http://www.mountainbitwarrior.com/ma...food.sourdough