Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Creamed chipped beef recipe?

Nancy2 wrote:
>> I've never eaten it and I've heard it's very salty. Do you rinse the
>> beef, Chris?
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> Huffy and Bubbles Do France:http://www.jamlady.eboard.com- Hide quoted text -

> We had it quite frequently when I was a child. I thought it was a
> midwestern staple, I did.
>
> It is very salty - but that's part of the goodness. No, don't rinse
> it. If you use the refrigerated packaged stuff, it isn't as salty as
> the authentic, old-fashion kind found in the canned meat aisle in
> glass jars. You takes yer choice. I like the old-style stuff, myself
> - and to make it even better, make the white sauce, add pepper, throw
> in the diced up dried beef, and add some quartered hard-boiled eggs.
> Pour it over white bread toast. Yumm.
>
> N.

At least once a week we had SOS (use your imagination), aka chipped
dried beef on toast, for breakfast in the Navy. That was about up to 48
years ago, they probably don't serve it anymore. The other oddity was
fried bologna, baked beans, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Only ran
into that on one ship I was on. Luckily young men will eat about
anything so it went over pretty good.