Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default Friday Night Fish Dinner

jmcquown wrote:
> Dinner tonight, whiting fillets. I'll be dipping them in an egg wash
> then coating them with a blend of cornmeal & flour seasoned with salt
> and a little cayenne pepper for kick. They'll be pan-fried. The fish
> will be accompanied by crookneck squash, sliced and sauteed in butter
> along with some onion. I haven't decided yet whether I want to make
> chips (fries) or mashed potatoes.
>
> What are your plans?

Solstice party. Here's the current state of my to-do list:

DONE cold fried chicken: a piece came out underdone, and so I feel I
need to stick the whole batch into the oven for a while to make sure
it's cooked through. A drag, but not the end of the world.

Also, there's some unbreaded chicken that I plan to bake with barbecue
sauce.

DONE veggie kabobs with some sort of veggie protein (tofu or seitan or
tempeh): Not started yet, except the pressing and marinating of the
tofu. (the teenager did this)

DONE pulled pork and homemade rolls for sandwiches: Pork is pulled.
Burned the first batch of barbecue sauce, so I need to make more.

DONE Need to make rolls (dough is ready).

corn on the cob: need to cut and shuck and boil. Will start around 6.

DONE potato salad: made

DONE macaroni salad: made

watermelon: Will cut at last minute

lemonade: need to make (the teenager said she would do it)

BUYING SODA iced tea (sweet and un): may make; may instead buy cold
two-liters of soda, because I can't find my other pitcher

SKIPPING peach cobbler: may skip; I have fewer peaches than I thought
after the peach ice cream, and I'm going to need the oven for the rest
of the chicken

DONE homemade ice cream, several flavors: done and yummy. We made four
flavors, but I gave the teenager permission to eat all of the green tea,
because that's her fave. She said it was better than store-bought.
*preen* There are small amounts of dark chocolate and vanilla in the
freezer, and a bit larger amount of peach. I may make more before the
day's up.

Serene