Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Paul the Q noob Paul the Q noob is offline

Default Low & Slow on my Weber gas grill?

On Jun 5, 10:53*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
>
> 250 is fine. *So is 225, so is 275, so is 300 or 325--iirc, Big Jim
> (regular here who is a pro) does most if not all of his Q at around
> 325-350.
>
> As to being done--I'm surprised I get to be first with this:
> It's done when it's done.
> That's what I and many many others have been (truthfully) told here
> about barbecue. *Ribs, butts, brisket--the times are variable; you
> could buy two same-size Boston butts from the same lot at the store,
> and have one take a lot longer than the other. *Ribs the same way,
> though IME somewhat less variation, mainly due to ribs being
> comparatively thin.
>
> I've had ribs take 3 1/2 hours and I've had 'em take 5+ hours.
>
> Two ways--and I think it's best to combine 'em--to tell when ribs are
> done (btw, I hope you'll do SPARE ribs not baby backs--spares are a
> far better deal as far as meat for the money, and they're a lot more
> forgiving than babybacks):
> (1)The meat pulls away from the ends of the bones, usually 1/4 to 1/2
> inch or so. *
> (2) Bend the rack of ribs; if done, the meat will crack between a
> couple of the bones.
>
> (small disclaimer--I've never cooked on a gas grill; charcoal grill or
> gas-fired smoker)
>
> I don't turn ribs. *Nor do I baste (mop) them. *What I almost always
> do is brush on a glazing sauce right at the end of the cook. *I like
> this one:http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=9
> (Danny Gaulden is a well-known, highly thought of bbq pitmaster)
>
> If you click the 'recipes' link there, you'll find some excellent
> recipes, including Danny's Rib Rub, of which I'm quite fond.
> (it calls for 1 TBSP of cayenne--I'm a wimp, and use 1/3 or 1/2 that
> much)
>
> >Now I'm off to find out about where to get chunks of hickory...

> Walmart, among many other places, sells bags of hickory chunks--also
> easily found are mesquite chunks. *If all you find is hickory *chips*
> wrap 'em in foil and poke a hole or two, as others described.
>
> Good luck, and enjoy. *(the 'enjoy' is the important part!)
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Denny!

Gonna just take some first hand experience to see the doneness of the
ribs or any meat. Just trying to retain all this info.

I've been reading up on the chunks of wood - put 1 in tinfoil, poke
some holes in it, put it over the weber's flavorizer bars. some people
change the chunks during the cooking time i imagine.

I wonder if I should be putting a drip pan filled with water under the
ribs (on the flavorizer bars under the grill grates) ? i see some
people doing this.