Posted to alt.food.barbecue
meatnub meatnub is offline

Default Low & Slow on my Weber gas grill?

On Jun 4, 9:34*am, meatnub > wrote:
> I would like to do a large piece of meat low & slow on my gas grill as
> my first attempt at "real" BBQ. Could anyone that has this experience
> share some advice?
>
> I would like to cook something that is tender and falls apart (my 1
> year old son can't do steak yet, of course, no molars yet). So I'm
> thinking a full rack of ribs as my first attempt or some other kind of
> pork? (any ideas?)
>
> My questions a
>
> Do i preheat the grill for the first 10 mins? If yes, at what temp?
> (low? medium? high?) Or since I am doing low & slow, do i just fire
> the grill up on low and put the meat on the racks?
>
> My gas grill has 3 burners, front to back. How many do I turn off, and
> what setting (low, med, high) do I set the other burners to?
>
> Let's say I want to do a full rack of ribs, I read something about
> cutting off the membrane on the back of the ribs. Do you turn the meat
> on the grill at all or just let it sit for X number of hours?
>
> Do you need to baste at all?
>
> Paul

I found this old thread via Google groups:

"I will second that. In fact, as I write this, I am looking out the
window at my Genesis Silver B (natural gas model) on the deck, gently
smoking ribs at about 250 degrees for about 4 hours now. While the
Genesis doesn't provide any special smoking features (you asked about
smoking), I use the 'foil method', i.e., wrap wood chips in foil, make
small hole in the foil and place on top of the flavorizer (sp) bars.
usually place the meat at the back of the grill and only fire up the
front burner on low-med heat. Works great. Some folks like to just
throw in a larger, fist sized chunk of wood. "

So it seems if I want to do low & slow - and again hoping for some
input here - i put my food to the back , turn only the front burner on
(low-med) and use wood chips if i want (i'll be skipping this on my
first BBQ attempt).

Sound right? Now if it's ribs, 250 degrees for how many hours? What
determines the hours? Weight of meat?