Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BOB[_9_] BOB[_9_] is offline

Default Does BBQ sauce really go bad (if refrigerated)?

"VegA" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:53:27 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> SNIP
>
>>Cold. The colder, the better. But not frozen in the center. '-)
>>
>>Why? I'm not really sure, except that I like my steaks char-grilled on
>>the
>>outside, but still slightly cool inside. This works much better for me if
>>it's straight from the 'fridge.
>>Another cosmetic advantage to cold meat on the grill/smoker, you get a
>>deeper smoke ring.
>>
>>BOB
>>

> I bring my meat to room temp before grill'in or Que'in for several
> reasons:
>
> I really don't want to waist the time and wood in the pit or on the
> grill having the pit or grill have to bring the meat up to cooking
> temp.
>
> IMHO room temp meat cooks more even.

Your opinion, not mine. Not in my experience, either.

> I find meat doesn't stick to the grill if it is at room temp. Even
> when the grates are oiled up well, cold meat can stick real bad

My grates have never been oiled since the first time I fired the pit(s) to
season them. Never have a problem with meat sticking to them. Not even
burgers or meatloaf.

> I make steaks just fine starting at room temp and searing the outside
> while leaving the inside cool and pink. It's all in technique. Sear
> the meat, move to cool side till desired doneness is achieved.

My steaks are seared at less than 1/4 inch from the coals. If I start at
room temperature, the center will be long past and above room temperature.
My technique works very well for me. I want the center cool, not room
temperature.

> My only question is, why cold meat would develop a deeper smoke
> ring???

Google can be your friend. So can real life experience.
Hint. Meat will only absorb the chemicals that form the smoke ring up to
about 140 degrees. If it takes longer to get there, the ring will be
deeper.

BOB