Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BOB[_9_] BOB[_9_] is offline

Default Does BBQ sauce really go bad (if refrigerated)?

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> frohe wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> Unfortunately the pork wasn't falling off the bone tender even after
>>> 8 hours (4 lbs of pork). I have a feeling it was still frozen in the
>>> middle. We defrosted it in water in the sink, but it was in a
>>> plastic freezer bag. I'm wondering if the bag insulated it too much
>>> from the water. I'm thinking that next time I'll defrost it in the
>>> fridge in water with no bag. Better yet - don't freeze it in the
>>> first place!

>> You don't want the meat to fall off the bone. Rather, you want it to
>> be "toothy", meaning when you bite into it, it pulls from the bone
>> easily. If it falls off the bone, you've over-cooked it.
>>
>> Defrosting in a baggie in water in the sink is a good practice
>> provided you had it in the water long enough to defrost properly. I
>> suspect you didn't. I wouldn't defrost in the fridge with no bag.
>> That does nothing but water-log the meat. And, no reason not to take
>> advantage of sales and freeze the extras. Just make sure you give it
>> plenty of time to completely defrost before you cook it.
>>
>> -frohe

> That begs the question.. do people here prefer to put their meat on the
> cooker cold, or brought to room temp first? And why?
>
> Inquiring minds.... etc.
>
> MartyB in KC

Cold. The colder, the better. But not frozen in the center. '-)

Why? I'm not really sure, except that I like my steaks char-grilled on the
outside, but still slightly cool inside. This works much better for me if
it's straight from the 'fridge.
Another cosmetic advantage to cold meat on the grill/smoker, you get a
deeper smoke ring.

BOB