Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default What to do with Brie?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 11:11:54 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>er, cheese that is <G>. I have a chunk of brie that I need to use 'fore
>too long. Typically, I just put slices Triscuit crackers (baked and not
>baked), but I'd like to know what the local RFC-denizens like to do with
>their brie cheese. I've tried it baked encased with phyllo, but I
>wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. Savory, with steaks maybe?
>Sweet, with jams and preserves or fresh fruit? What say y'all?

For everyday, I use just crusty bread.... for slightly fancier (like
when the kids come over), they'll throw a head of garlic into the
oven. For company, I serve it with bread, roasted garlic, wedges of
pear and a clump or two of grapes for prettiness. I don't do jams or
nuts on brie.

If you want your brie hot and melty, you can enclose it in brioche
dough and bake. There was also a way to do pan fry brie which
involved a whole mini wheel, but I don't remember how I did it. I
think it was similar to pan frying fish.... some kind of wash, coat
with bread crumbs, fry in butter.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first