Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gareth[_1_] Gareth[_1_] is offline

Default Microwave drawing too much power

slk wrote:
> I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
> data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
> clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A
>
> What could cause this? Is it likely to be fixable by an amateur, or is
> the microwave history? It's only about a year and a half old, but it's
> been heavily used in an office setting. (maybe it's time to go with a
> commercial rated unit)

Microwave ovens have very high voltages inside, thousands of volts,
which can be stored in capacitors even when the microwave is off. There
is also the hazard of high power microwaves leaking out if you don't put
it back together properly.

I would advise you to get a new one rather than risk your life trying to
fix it. Microwaves don't cost much these days so if all the users in
your office put in a few dollars you could get a nice new one.

To reply to me directly:

Replace privacy.net with: totalise DOT co DOT uk and replace me with
gareth.harris