Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] yevvio@gmail.com is offline

Default are enamel-on-steel kettles safe?

On Mar 24, 4:47*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Rina wrote:
> > I think the residue is just minerals in your water. I get the same thing in
> > my stainless steel tea kettle.

> > Rina

> > > wrote in message
> >> Hi,

> >> I recently bought anenamel-on-steelkettle to boil water (it is
> >> covered with black enamel on the inside). *After i used it several
> >> times, i was cleaning the inside with a paper towel and i saw a lot of
> >> dark residue left on the paper towel. *Is it normal? *It seems like
> >> after i cleaned it the traces of that stuff disappeared but after i
> >> boiled the water again they reappeared. * Should i be concerned that
> >> the enamel is dissolving into the water? or is it just something from
> >> the water itself?

> >> Thanks
> >> Yev

> Add a couple of tablespoons of 5% white vinegar to the pot when you fill
> it with water. Will keep the stuff from precipitating out on your pot.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I kinda doubt it could be from the water,
because i have other pots (not sure if they are stainless steel or
aluminum) and i dont get any of that residue there when i boil the
water. But i ll try to boil bottled water and see what happens.