Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Paul Gilbert[_2_] Paul Gilbert[_2_] is offline

Default Flour, humidity and weather

A dissenting opinion on the methodology of the experiment.

Your experiment determined the amount of water absorbed from the atmosphere
by a know MASS of flower. No attempt was made to measure the VOLUME. In
the cups vs. weight argument the point that is often missed is the
difficulty of the repeatability of the volume measurement. A cup of packed
flower will be more dense than a sifted one. Dipping a cup into a bag of
flower and scraping off the top does not account for the age of the flower,
its' hydration or if it was stored under another large sack of flower and
compacted.

It would be interesting to measure the change in volume as flower absorbs
moisture from the atmosphere. I would like to see the repeatability of
weights when a single person uses the same equipment to measure a cup of
flower. Then your experiment could be repeated using different conditions
of hydration.

Of course this is all nit picking unless one is attempting to communicate a
repeatable recipe to a stranger. When I attempted to decipher my mother's
recipe book after her death anything close to any sort of measurement would
have been wonderful.

A recipe for gumbo (that old woman made wonderful gumbo) went something
like:

Make a peanut butter colored roué.
Fry down a couple of links of Andouille sausage and save the grease.
Fry down a goodly amount of chopped onions and caramelize in the Adouille
grease.
Add the onions, celery and bell peppers to the roué and wilt celery.
Fill gumbo pot 2/3 full of water and bring to a boil.
etc -----

It worked for some one who had watched very closely what she had done, but
would be useless to transmit to a stranger.