Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

Default Weber Grill - Spirit vs. Genesis?

"Peter Gibbons" > wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a new gas grill, as my 2 1/2 year old Charbroil
> is rusted out, and I'm tired of buying new grills every 2-3 years.

<snip>
> I was looking at a Spirit E-310 with 3 burners
> (36000 BTUs) at $299, and the only difference between it and the
> Genesis E-320 is 6000 BTUs and a side burner. But the Genesis costs
> $639. I admit that I use the side burner on my Charbroil quite a bit,
> and would miss it if I bought a Spirit, but I could buy two Spirit's
> for the price of the Genesis. What else justifies that huge jump in
> price?
>
> Third, am I overlooking any other grill models (Weber or otherwise)
> that have a decent build, and don't cost an arm and a leg?

I had a Sunbeam (I believe?) natural gas grill that lasted 7 years. I
replaced it with Weber Genesis Silver (no side burner) natural gas grill.. I
found after getting the Weber home that I was able to remove the Sunbean
side burner and by removing the drop in left hand shelf on the Weber I was
able to drop in the Sunbeam side burner on my Weber. I needed to buy about
$3 worth of gas fittings to modify the gas hook up but with very little
effort and $ I now have a fully functional side burner on the Weber. Of
course if you're not comfortable modifying gas fittings this is not
advisable.