Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default A STRONG cookie press/dough extruder?

wrote:

> I would like to purchase a moderately-priced cookie press to use in
> making pretzels at home. I need to extrude a round "rope" about a half
> inch in diameter. I'm sure there's any number of cookie presses that
> can do this--but the problem here is that unlike cookie dough, the
> pretzel dough is very "stiff" and would require a fair amount of force
> (and sturdy apparatus) to extrude. I'm not sure a run-of-the-mill
> cookie press would be up to the task. Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've researched cookie presses/dough extruders rather extensively in the
past year or longer. Unfortunately, there is nothing I know of on the
(USA) market for the household cook that's available except on an
industrial level and that's neither suitable nor affordable. I even
checked with several restaurant supply companies, too.

I often make cheese straws, and the dough for those is sturdy and stiff,
too (shaddup Sheldon!). I usually let the dough get warm to room
temperature, then it extrudes somewhat easilty through the cookie
press.

Because I have problems with my hands, I need a 'powered' cookie press,
and the only one I could find that worked well is the Bonjour "Cookie
Factory" cookie press that's powered with two C-batteries [example can
be found at
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=202012 - no
endorsement of website intended]. There are a couple other powered
cookie presses, but those didn't work as well as this one does.

Good luck with your search, and please follow-up here if you do find a
cookie press else that's suitable for your task.

Sky, the "cheese straw maven"

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/sigs/S...%20Straws.html

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice