D. Lutjen

Default Farm Raised Salmon as Sashimi

"Ken" > wrote in message
news:wTFDc.101544$2i5.48126@attbi_s52...

> 1) I occasionally eat tuna from my local grocery store (in Seattle). It is
> usually just their standard tuna steak cut, not the "sashimi-grade" Ahi

that
> they sometimes carry. The guy behind the counter told me that it's fine

> eat the non-sashimi grade. Is it?

There is no such thing as "sashimi grade" tuna. There is #1, #2, #2+, fry
grade, etc. And there might be specific grading rules set up between a
vendor and customer.

As long as you are buying bigeye tuna or yellowfin tuna (neither specie is
associated with biological hazards e.g. parasites) and the flesh looks
bright/fresh (no discoloration, no rainbow effect, no odor, flesh appears
moist/not dried out, etc.) you should be just fine. That said, I rarely see
fresh tuna steaks in the fresh meat case that I would personally cut into
and eat raw because they fail in one or more of the above categories.