Posted to rec.food.cooking
hahabogus hahabogus is offline

Default Reheating Meat Pies

Bob Simon > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 23:51:45 +0100, (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
>>Bob Simon > wrote:
>>
>>> My wife and I are having an Oscars Party next weekend. With reference
>>> to Sweeny Todd, we are serving meat pies. We prepared a large batch
>>> and froze them so we won't have to spend much time in the kitchen when
>>> we're entertaining. What's the best way to heat them? They are about
>>> 2.5 x 4" and the one I weighed was slightly less than 2 oz.

>>They sound more like pasties than pies. :-) Probably the best way
>>would be to let them thaw, time permitting, and then reheat them in the
>>200°C (400°F) oven for 15-25 minutes or so (it depends on the pasties
>>and the oven). If reheating from frozen, it can take up to 45 minutes.
>>You can also use a microwave, but it usually does nothing for the dough.
>>Still, consider microwaving one or two pies/pasties and see if you like
>>the results.
>>
>>Victor

> Victor,
> Hello, this is the wife. Thanks for replying. These *are* more like
> pasties. They're made of an egg bread dough, which was 1/4 inch thick
> and cut into circles of 4 inches diameter. Then we put a heaping
> teaspoon of cooked ground meat, hard-cooked egg and seasonings in the
> center, folded them in half, and baked them at 350 for about 15
> minutes. So I'm concerned that a re-baking at 400 for another 15
> minutes would be way too much time. What do you think? Also, do you
> think we should brush them with an egg wash before re-baking? We
> forgot to do that on the initial baking!
> thanks,
> Fran

a egg wash...it would help brown them up some.

Defrost them first...

As I understand it; the filling is cooked and the dough requires cooking
and browning, while the filling is warmed... so 350-375 for 20-25 minutes
should do the trick of warming the filling and cooking the dough crust on a
whole oven full. But check them after 15 minutes, as I ain't all seeing.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore