Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

Hairy wrote on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:15:20 -0600:

H> "Greg Esres" > wrote in message

??>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from
??>> aluminum pans, I found the advice mainly consisted of
??>> "elbow grease". However, I found that a spray-on product
??>> called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in removing oil
??>> residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper towel.
??>> The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
??>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can
??>> is over 10 years old, so I don't know if the brand is
??>> still made any more, but surely some other similar spray
??>> uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not effective.)

H> Xylol is a paint thinner/solvent. I believe I've seen it at
H> Menard's, recently.

I was a little concerned about xylol (old name, more correctly
xylene) since it is closely related chemically to benzene.
Fortunately, tho' I wouldn't use it without proper ventilation,
it does not appear to be a carcinogen.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: