Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:32:46 -0800 (PST), Sheldon
> wrote:
>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. ?Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) ?The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.
>>
>> maxine in ri

>Not for aluminum.

Hi Sheldon,

You keep saying that there is some problem using the ammonia
technique on aluminum.

The first time I read that, I was curious, and so checked it
out with some care.

In fact, aluminum is used in contact with ammonia in all
sorts of industrial applications (most relating to
refrigeration) precisely because it is not harmed as would
be certain other metals.

It is obvious (both from my reading, and from my own
reasonably extensive experience) that there is no problem
whatever using the ammonia technique on aluminum cookware.

All the best,

--
Kenneth