Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri maxine in ri is offline

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
> effective.)

Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
still on it.

maxine in ri