Posted to rec.food.equipment
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Slow cooker vs pressure cooker?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I *think* I've seen something smaller than a 4-quart but would have to
> do some net searching for it. It may have been either a Fagor or a
> Marfesa. If you have never used one, know this: you can only fill
> them to about 2/3 of their capacity. I would not buy one less than 6
> quarts; I think my brother's is a 4-quart -- he's single. I use mine
> often to cook beef chunks for freezing for later use. Three pounds of
> chuck pieces would crowd a 4 quart unit, IMO.
>
> Do you have deep pockets? One of the newer brands comes with more than
> one size pan to use with the lid and its mechanism. Handy, I suppose,
> especially if you happen to need a couple saucepans.

Expensive, but not bad if you don't already have a full assortment of
pots. The sets I've seen, come with standard pot lids as well as
pressure lids.
If just buying the one, I agree with you about the 6 qt size.

> I'd buy a stainless steel unit rather than an aluminum one, I guess.

Agreed.

> There's a website devoted to pressure cooking, hosted by Lorna Somebody.
> Lorna Sass? I'd have to look. Look for "cooking under pressure" as a
> book title.

Yes - Lorna Sass. 'Cooking Under Pressure' and 'Pressure Perfect'.