Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee.Dee Dee.Dee is offline

Default Tip for freezing sauerkraut.

Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the discouragement,
but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.

From a purchase yesteday of 8 thick pork chops weighing 5#, ending up
costing $10.00 (with my coupon of $5 off), I set them side-up in a slow
cooker (outside underneath the eves, because it was misting cold rain all
day) for about 6-1/2 hours.
I dripped separately on each a concentrate of pomegranate juice, a little
worcestshire sauce, and balsamic, salt and pepper.
Pretty good.

I had frozen the sauerkraut into a pint Ball jar, which I had taken out
yesterday and put into the refrigerator. It pulled out of the jar perfectly
and placed with a little water into a heavy ss pan and heated.

Left-over pinto beans, stalks of celery and carrots. Good meal for us.

The other 6 pork chops will go into the freezer in separate packages. One
or two will be used in tortillas, pulled.

Thanks again, Wayne for your tip. It is a lasting gift.
Dee Dee