Posted to rec.food.cooking
Larry LaMere[_1_] Larry LaMere[_1_] is offline

Default But I want DENSE dumplins!

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:03:10 -0800 (PST), levelwave > wrote:

>Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
>them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
>the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
>they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
>pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
>recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
>~john

You ain't alone. ( cain't you tell I'm one of them trailer trash folks?)

Dumplings (Mama's Little Leadballs)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk

Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Bring just to a simmer in a small saucepan
the butter and milk. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork or knead by hand 2
to 3 times until the mixture just comes together. Push the chicken pieces down so that
they are submerged in gravy and gently drop spoonfuls of the dumpling dough over the
top. Cover pan tightly and simmer slowly for 15 to 20 minutes. Don't remove the lid.
Serve immediately.

This works for me 'cept I cook them another 5 minutes with the cover off.