Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default But I want DENSE dumplins!

levelwave wrote:
> Not light and fluffy biscuit-like dumplings that fall apart when I add
> them to the pot of "Chicken 'n Dumplings"... I followed the recipe on
> the back of the bisquick box, even kneaded the hell out of them and
> they still were way too soft and fell apart or turned to goo in the
> pot. Does anyone else prefer heavy dense dumplins and could share a
> recipe? I'm guessing just stick with AP flour and no leavener?
>
> ~john

What you're looking for is "rolled dumplings". Google. Some of us (me
counted) don't want the dumplings being so heavy they become the meal and
overwhelm everything else in the pot of chicken and dumplings.

But, if you follow directions for making *drop* dumplings you can make them
very small; start out with 1/4-1/2 tsp. size lumps of dough. Then if you
cook them 10 minutes without the lid on the pot, then dunk them into the
simmering liquid with the back of a spoon, then cover the pot and cook them
another 10 minutes, they are more dense.

I still don't care for rolled dumplings. I'd rather have noodles in my
chicken stew.

Jill