Posted to rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz[_2_] Stan Horwitz[_2_] is offline

Default Q: Convection vs. Regular Baking

In article >,
(Arthur Shapiro) wrote:

> My more than 25-year-old GE toaster oven developed a problem (the shell
> became
> live, as my wife found out the hard way!) and I decided it had had a long and
> glorious life and didn't need to be repaired. It was replaced with a
> Cuisinart bake/convection bake/broil unit, which seems to be a fine product
> in
> the 10 days I've had it. I haven't used the main oven in that time - the
> Cuisinart has handled everything I needed.
>
> I don't yet understand when I want to use convection vs. regular baking, and
> the manual isn't much help. I've used convection for everything so far,
> reducing the temp by 25 degrees as seems to be the general rule of thumb. So
> far the only thing that didn't come out well was a package of crescent rolls
> -
> the bottoms were somewhat browner than the tops and some of the
> more-protruding portions of each roll browned more than the more-recessed
> portions. Everything else has been fine.
>
> Can anyone share some words of wisdom about choosing convection vs. normal?
> Thanks!

I have a Black & Decker toaster oven with a convection oven feature. I
have had it for at least a year and I love it. I never use the regular
baking feature. Just the other day, I baked some chicken legs in it with
the convection oven on and they came out fantastic!