Dee Randall

Default Substitute for fresh/frozen cranberries

You might want to chuck the baking soda too, although there is some acid
from the O-J and brown sugar, the acid from the fresh cranberries will
be missing to activate it.
Substitute another 3/4 to 1 ts of baking powder instead.

I'll never understand the principles of using 1) baking soda only 2) baking
powder only 3) both baking soda and baking powder in equal amounts and 4)
both baking soda and baking powder in different amounts. Can you give me
(us) an easily understood lesson/explanation.

The only thing I know about is adding a tablespoon of vinegar to milk to
make it buttermilk -- this is about as far as my understanding of acid
goes --

thanks so much,
Dee

"H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in message
Suanne Wong wrote:

>The following cranberry cookies calls for 2 1/2 cups of cranberries (I
>assummed it's asking for fresh ones). Can I substitute it with dried ones

Yes Susan. They are excellent dried.

>and how much would it be?

Basically 3 - 1, fresh/dried, but I would not worry about that too much,
just put in as much as you think feels right, they are not going to
upset a thing. Much like raisins. Matter of fact, they are dried much
better than fresh. Same as cherries in cookies.

But I would toast the nuts before chopping, much better flavor.

--
Sincerly,

C=¦-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"