Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default 'Soup Kitchen' ideas

"Mark Thorson" wrote
>> Any other ideas? They will be most welcome! I plan to have fun and do a
>> little good in the world at the same time, while not going broke. I'd
>> also
>> like to try to add things with as much nutrition as possible and in
>> winter,
>> warming things like soups and stews.

> Does the church get free government cheese?

No, they are just a sort of home-grown sort of place. No funding. They
like it that way.

> If so, cheese pizza would be cheap to make,
> needing only flour, labor, and a #10 can
> of tomato sauce.

That would be great except while the room they use has lots of outlets for
crockpots, the kitchen has only one oven with 4 burners and a side 4 burner
unit donated later. Sorry if I made it sound like a bigger operation than
it is, but it feeds a max of 100 and then only in winter. Normal is about
50. Now with 50, the pizza is possible but with more, it would be too slow
or have to be served cold.

Grin, it's basically a big room with tables along the walls lined with
crockpots and warming 'tea light' flat servers (Chaffing dishes?)

> Also, cheese enchiladas and quesadillas
> would be cheap and easy to make.

Oh that sparks an idea!

Big pot of unspiced pintos and kidneys, cook down and remove from liquid
then mash. Add ro-tel tomatoes with chiles and serve on warmed flour
tortillas with a little grated cheese if we have it.