Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Microwave throwing breaker

"Randall Nortman" > wrote in message

> But none of
> that changes the fact that the microwave should not be drawing >16A
> for more than a fraction of a second, right?

The formula is: Watts ÷ Volts = Amps
Assuming 1780 Watts, a perfect 120 volts = 14.83A That may be true in
perfect conditions as tested in the laboratory. The electric company is
allowed to vary the voltage and it may be a bit higher or lower at times,
especially during heavy use in the summer.
So, given the same 1780 Watts, we can have:
1780 ÷ 110 = 16.18 Amps. This is within the normal and acceptable range. I
doubt you'd have trouble with a 20A breaker and that is why the code
requires a safety factor.