Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Microwave throwing breaker

"Randall Nortman" > wrote in message
> My parents recently bought a new over-range Maytag microwave, and it's
> throwing the breaker occasionally. They told me they had somebody out
> to look at it (still under warranty), and he measured the current
> going over 16A occasionally. It's a 15A breaker, so no surprise that
> it's tripping. But I looked at the sticker on the microwave and it
> specifies 120V, 14.8A. Given that, I think that the microwave should
> not be drawing >16A long enough to even measure on his meter. I guess
> some very brief spikes would be OK, but apparently he was repeatedly
> measuring currents over 15A during normal operation. (Unfortunately,
> I didn't actually see it; I'm relying on my mother's telling of the
> story, and I didn't bring my own meter with me.)
>
> The repair guy said this was normal and told them to upgrade the
> breaker to 20A. I say an appliance rated at 14.8A should draw no
> more, and if it does, it is defective and should be replaced. Anybody
> who knows more about this than I care to comment? Should they demand
> a new unit? It was installed just a few weeks ago.

This is normal and acceptable. When a motor starts, (and the microwave has
one for the turntable) the draw can easily be 2x or 3x the running draw as
specified. I don't know if the magnetron has a draw like that, but it may
spike at startup. Circuit breakers are built to take that.

If an appliance is rated at 14.8A, it MUST be on a 20A breaker according to
electrical codes. If should be upgraded to 20A and with 12 gauge wire. A
15A breaker can take 80% or 12A for a constant load. Sorry, but that's the
way it is and a new unit will do the same thing.

How about this from the manual
ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS

Product rating is 120 volts AC, 60 Hertz,

-MMV4205, AMV5206, MMV5207, JMV8208 (USA):

14.8 amps and 1.7 kilowatts.

-MMV5207,JMV8208 (CANADA) / AMV6167:

13 amps and 1.5 kilowatts.

-JMV8166/JMV9169:

14.5 amps and 1.6 kilowatts.

This product must be connected to a supply circuit of

the proper voltage and frequency. Wire size must

conform to the requirements of the National Electrical

Code or the prevailing local code for this kilowatt

rating. The power supply cord and plug should be

brought to a separate 20 ampere branch circuit single

grounded outlet. The outlet box should be located in

the cabinet above the microwave oven. The outlet

box and supply circuit should be installed by a

qualified electrician and conform to the National

Electrical Code or the prevailing local code.