Posted to rec.food.cooking
pulck pulck is offline

Default Slow roasting a rib of beef (well done)

On 23 Dec, 13:04, jay > wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:54:45 -0800 (PST), pulck wrote:
> > I'd like to try slow roasting a rib of beef for Christmas day, but the
> > in-laws will not eat anything bloody. Is there a sure-fire way of
> > getting this right? And is this the best way to do a roast beef if it
> > needs to be well done.

> > (BTW I'm in the UK, so centigrade temperatures would be preferable to
> > fahrenheit.)

> > Thanks.

> Get a large roast and leave the center rare. Give them the end cuts. Well
> done roast beef is awful.
>
> Jay

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

Just to defend myself: I'm not hosting Xmas dinner. We've been invited
round to my in-laws who are doing a turkey and everyone else is
bringing something to the dinner. We suggested roast beef. They said
great, but we're not keen on rare beef. I thought slow-cooking it
might make up for the toughness you normally get with over-cooked
beef, but most recipes I've seen - e.g. http://ochef.com/907.htm -
only cater for rare or medium beef.

Anyway, I think the suggestion is good that if the beef is slightly
too rare for them, they can put some cuts back in the oven.