Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Substitutiion for orange zest - clementines or tangerines zest

On Dec 21, 8:48�am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> > Does substituing clementine or tangerine rind/zest for orange zest taste
> > totally different or unacceptable in most recipes calling for orange zest?

> > Has anyone substituted either clementine or tangerine?

> > Thanks.
> > Dee Dee

> Check the source of whatever you use. The clementines I've bought are from
> South Africa, and they have a very noticeable white deposit on them. It is
> NOT wax. It's something to keep them from spoiling in shipment. Until
> demonstrated one way or the other, I will assume that the skin absorbs
> whatever it is. I wouldn't make zest from them. If I couldn't get domestic
> oranges (see note below), and clementines were the only citrus available to
> me at the moment, I would postpone the recipe which required the zest.
>
> Disclaimer: I am not claiming that domestic oranges are 100% free of
> chemicals on the surface.

Pesticides are absorbed throught the leaves, not the fruit. Nothing
is absorbed through any fruit/vegetable skin... anything on the skin
can easily be washed off. And the wax used is to keep stuff IN, not
out, and the waxes used (such as carnauba) is a natural plant product,
perfectly safe to eat. Beeswax is also safe to eat. Many candies/
confections are coated with wax yet you still eat chocolate.