Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy blake murphy is offline

Default onions and coumadin

my father was recently put on coumadin, for which i understand the
generic is warfarin, a blood thinner or anti-coagulant (and yes, i
know, a major ingredient in some rat poisons). there were some food
restrictions (leafy green vegetables, etc.), due to large amounts of
vitamin k, which apparently reduces the effect. those didn't bother
him, but 'no onions' is chafing his knickers. (paradoxically, onions
themselves seem to have an anticoagulant effect.)

apparently, cooked onions are less bad, i presume because cooking
destroys some of the viatmin k.

anyhow, i told him i would put the question here to you all, since
there seems to be much group experience in food allergies and medicine
interactions, to see what you all thought, and ideas for
substitutions, etc. so, any insights, wisdom, or warnings not to seek
medical advice on the 'net? my dad's a pretty good cook, if that
helps.

(some years ago, i had a girlfriend who was allergic to onions, but i
don't know that i acquired any cooking knowledge, other than i didn't
make chili, and one side of the cutting board was non-onion. i did
finally come up with a meat loaf.)

your pal,
blake