Douglas S. Ladden

Default How to pronounce Chayote?

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Smitty
Jagermanjenson" > shared its ideas in
alt.food.mexican-cooking on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:16:52 GMT:

[Fixed Top Posting]

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> > I was reading a book written in the UK, that says the proper
>> > pronunciatio of chayote squash (isn't it technically a gourd?) is
>> > "chow-chow". Huh? How do you get "chow-chow" from "chayote".
>> >
>> > How do you pronouce chayote? I always just said 'coyote' (as in
>> > the dog), but without the ending 'e' sound. But then again, I've
>> > probably never said it while around anyone who knew how it was
>> > pronounced (or knew what I was really talking about).
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed
>> immediately with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik
>> elephant. Chayote...

> it
>> is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around
>> the seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

> It's not a tree grown fruit, it comes from a vine. I know, I've grown
> them.

If you really want to learn about the Chayote, here's a great
website that goes into more detail than anyone could possibly want:
http://gourmetsleuth.com/chayotes.htm.

--Douglas