Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default How long can a thawed out turkey stay in the fridge?

shareyourknowle wrote:
>"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

> > > Forget about flavor and tenderness and instead think about safety.
> > > After 2 days a fresh killed or thawed turkey is considered unsafe.

> > >http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/hometips/dhp/Turkey.htm

> > I found the question odd, too. This is why I sometimes ask how old people
> > are, which, of course, never gets a response because the reason for the
> > question is obvious. Born yesterday?

> I'm 55 and not a cook. I was just trying to time it so it would be
> thawed out by Thanksgiving, but if i thawed out earlier would it be
> safe? My family wants a fresh organic turkey, but i can only find
> places that has them frozen.

I didn't find yopur question odd at all... every holiday season people
ask all kinds of questions regarding handling turkey... even many who
claim to be experienced cooks actually know nothing about safe
handling for poultry. Your's is a very legitimate query... time for
the real imbecile inquiries is fast approaching, usually the most
inane by certain rfc regulars.

You can find more detailed information at the various major national
brands turkey/poultry web sites; butterball, empire, norbest, etal.
Some even have a hotline you can phone to ask for info. I would
strongly recommend following the safe food handling directions
exactly, do not improvise, otherwise people can become quite ill, some
can die (the very young, the elderly, and those with compromised
immune systems are most at risk).

Sheldon